If you have become ill because of a workplace-related toxic substance, you are probably owed compensation. Mesothelioma is a serious disease caused by asbestos exposure. The trust fund set aside for victims of this disease pays compensation to those who meet the qualifications. Read on and find out more below.
- Choose an Experienced Asbestos Lawyer: Selecting an attorney who specializes in asbestos-related cases is crucial. Look for a lawyer or law firm with a proven track record in handling asbestos-related claims and dealing with asbestos trust funds.
- Case Assessment: A qualified attorney will assess the details of the case, including the individual's work history, asbestos exposure sources, and medical records and the employer's bankruptcy status. This assessment helps determine the strength of the case and the appropriate trust fund(s) to pursue.
- Identify Trust Funds: Your lawyer will identify the asbestos trust funds established by bankrupt companies that may be responsible for compensating victims of asbestos-related diseases like mesothelioma. There are numerous trust funds available, each associated with specific companies that used asbestos-containing products.
- File a Claim: The lawyer will assist in preparing and filing a claim with the relevant asbestos trust fund(s). This process involves providing documentation of asbestos exposure, medical records, employment history, and other necessary information. Your lawyer will ensure that the claim is accurate and complete and meets the requirements of the trust fund.
- Negotiate Compensation: Once the claim is submitted, the trust fund administrators will review the claim and determine the compensation amount based on various factors. Your lawyer will negotiate on your behalf to ensure you receive fair and appropriate compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
- Maximize Compensation: An experienced asbestos lawyer will work to maximize your compensation by exploring all potential sources of compensation, including trust funds, insurance coverage, and other liable parties.
- Litigation if Necessary: In some cases, if a fair settlement cannot be reached through the trust fund, your lawyer may advise pursuing litigation against other responsible parties, such as suppliers or manufacturers of asbestos-containing products.
- Personalized Legal Advice: Every mesothelioma case is unique, and a qualified lawyer will provide personalized advice tailored to your specific situation. They will guide you through the legal process, answer your questions, and keep you informed about the progress of your claim.
It's crucial to start the process as soon as possible, as there may be time limitations for filing claims. Contact a law firm like the Law Offices of Justinian Lane to learn more.