My Personal Injury Experience

« Back to Home

Guidelines on Filing a Premises Liability Suit When Injured on Another Person's Premises

Posted on

Personal injury cases happen when you least expect them. When they happen, you remain with massive medical bills to handle. The physical injuries and emotional distress that results from the accident can derail you from your work. It is advisable to hire a personal injury lawyer if you got injured on another person's property. The lawyer can help you determine whether to file a lawsuit or not. Here are some guidelines to follow after the injury. 

Visit Your Doctor for Medical Attention

You should seek medical attention soon after the accident or injury. Sometimes accidents might seem like something you can resolve with a band-aid and an ice pack. However, symptoms of a deeper issue could come up weeks or months later, costing you massive amounts in medical bills. See the doctor for a comprehensive examination if you slipped and fell, used a defective product, or attained another type of injury. Sometimes it might not seem serious on the surface. However, you could be suffering from internal bleeding, spinal and traumatic brain injury. These conditions worsen when overlooked. 

Gather the Needed Evidence to Help Build Your Case

After you have had a professional handle your injuries, it is time to start working on the case. You should gather every piece of evidence that could help your case. You can create a journal detailing the location, date and time of the incident, and details about the homeowner. If someone else witnessed the incident, record their name and location. Also, save any photographic evidence that you might have from the scene. Other data that will help your cases is evidence of your loss of income following the accident, lifestyle alternations, and changes you have made to your daily life from the accident. You are most likely to win the tort and get compensation when you have all the needed evidence.

Consult the Homeowner About their Insurance For Compensation

It will be simple to get compensated if the other homeowner has liability coverage under their homeowner or renter's insurance. It is advisable to ask them whether they are insured. If not, consult with the landlord and see whether they have a liability package. Your lawyer can help you determine which insurance product will adequately cover your claim. Work with them for the ideal resolution.

Dealing with liability claims when injured in another person's house can be tricky because of the strain in the personal relationship. However, a competent personal injury attorney can prevent the case from escalating to that level. Talk to them for quality guidance in the process.